Contrary to popular belief, money doesn’t grow on trees. Although sometimes I really wish it did! I don’t know about you, but lately I’ve noticed my wallet shrink in size. The reality is that everyone is affected by the economy in one way or another and no one is immune. For example, the other day I reviewed my bank account and noticed I am spending more in groceries than I did last year at this point. Now, I am no economist, but I can tell you what I see and that is my money isn’t able to stretch as it used to before. It’s now more than ever, where I see my friends and family use their creativity to help impact their bottom line.
I’ve created a list of no-nonsense essential tips that can help your money stretch and impact your bottom line.
Clothing/Shoes:
Ask for a final sale (FS) discount: Have you ever ran into the last item on the rack that is absolutely beautiful and is screaming your name? Except it has a blue stain from maybe a pair of denim jeans? Don’t walk away! If you think the stain can be removed with shout or a little soap and water then take it to the cash register and ask for a discount. All stores do this and are willing to give 10-25% off the merchandise so that they don’t deal with the pain of removing the stain themselves. This also works for missing buttons, tears and shoes. I recently asked for a FS and saved $10 on a beautiful jacket.
DSW: Sign up for the FREE DSW rewards program. They send you coupons after you’ve spent a certain amount and for your birthday! I have one for $5 off my next purchase!
Coupons:
At the grocery store: I have an affinity towards Giant Grocery store because they accept competitor’s coupons (Safeway Stores) and double any coupons up to $.99 and give you $.10 for every reusable bag you bring in to take your groceries home. Every week wait for mail Safeway mailer which typically has coupons; I clip away and take them to Giant. Last weekend I got 2 boxes of 100 calorie pack Nabisco chips ahoy for $1.25.
Walmart: If you nearby a Walmart with a grocery department take your ads from competitors to the checkout stand with your groceries and they will match their competitions prices. I know someone who once saved $50 by doing this.
Where do you find coupons? Take 10 minutes and look at your weekly mailers, pick up the Sunday newspaper, go online to the competitor’s grocery store and print away. Ask the customer service desk to find out if your grocery stores can double and/or take competitors coupons. Last week I saved $35 on my weekly grocery bill (That’s a manicure!J)
Restaurants
Restaurant Week: Check out your local restaurant week details. Typically you can get a 3 course lunch for $20 bucks and a dinner for about $35 bucks. The DC Metro Restaurant Week this year is August 24-30.
Travel:
Catch the Bus: This mode of travel is a quick and easy no-nonsense way to get from point A to point B. Check out the hot $1 one way tickets on http://www.boltbus.com/ and http://www.megabus.com/ Earlier this year I traveled round trip on Bolt to NYC for $25 bucks! Plus, Bolt Bus has wireless internet on board.
Become a Jetsetter: For a limited time Jet Blue Airways is providing an all-you-can-fly pass for $599 to anywhere they travel. It’s available only from September 1st -October 1st. Hurry, these passes are on a first come first serve basis.
Give a Day, Get a Night: Until December 20th, Sage Hotels (Marriott, Holiday Inn’s) is offering those who volunteer at least 8 hours with a non profit, are eligible to receive a complimentary or 50% off a hotel night in one of their 50 participating Hotels.
It may sound minuscule when I say I saved $10 here and $25 here but at the end of the day those numbers add up and do impact my bottom line. All of these tips require a little bit of research and time and the ask. Try at least 3 tips next week, and let me know if they are no-nonsense ways to save money!
No comments:
Post a Comment